Monday, June 22, 2009

June 22 from Middlebury KOA.
Left Wilmington Sunday morning and went to Kernersville for Fathers Day. We really had a good time . WE had all the family except David there for the afternoon.
I got up at 5:00 AM this morning and left Kernersville at 5:30 Am. and arrived here at 5:30
pm 12 hours and 660 miles. Trip was uneventful except for one event that I surely would like to know the whole story about this,

I was about 65 miles west of Columbus Ohio and 70 miles east of Ft Wayne Indiana. It was a beautiful summer day 87 degrees, very little breeze; clear and only a few puffy clouds in the sky. This is in the middle of a farming region in western Ohio, you looked in any direction, all you could see were corn fields or wheat fields;REAL COUNTRY. This section of road was a two lane road. I came up to this small rural midwestern type farm town named Patapokata.Really small town the main highway came in at one end of town, down the main street and out the other end. I was almost out the other end of town when this cemetary caught my eye. IT WAS A REALLY BIG CEMETARY-ABOUT TWO SQUARE BLOCKS. It looked to be two hundred years old. In fact I would bet that there were more people buried there than were alive in that town, the lawn was manicued.I couldnt see a weed or any uncut grass,even the ditch between the lots and the concrete highway. Most of the headstones has some sort of artificial flowers ond them and the veterans headstones each had a little flag on it, You could tell that the town really cared for this cemetary.
As i got almost to the end of the cemetary a strange event startled me so much that it took a couple of seconds for me to grasp just what was happening. I would have taken a picture but it went past so fast that i was out of range before it hit me. In anycase I bet this is being duscussed around more than one dinner table in that town, and probably at the local garden club. In one corner of the cemetry next to the road at the end of the cemetary, there were three or four headstones that looked to be newer than any others and they didnt have flowers on them. One of the headstones was by itself toward an open area of the cemetary. Id noticed a car on the road beside this headstone and saw three women ( i couldnt tell their exact ages, but probably in their thirtys)had spread blankets in front of the headstone and over yhe grave, They had on bathing suits and were lying on the blankts sunbathing and lookidng like they were enjoying a day at the beach.

In anycase it broke up my trip thinking about what was the real story.
Tomorrow I'M going to stock with grocerys and do a couple of things around here then Wednesday morning i will leave for Yipislianti for four days to see greenfield, and the henry ford musieum, visit Ann Arbor before movinfgon.

No comments:

Post a Comment